Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Something Good

So, I am doing a charity walk this weekend. It is the Walk for Water which is an event sponsored through Starbucks. The point of it is to address the World Water Crisis, which is something that the United Nations has declared World Water Day because of. Essentially it is a lack of clean, safe drinking water (which you can see from the picture above of some drinking water in Africa), and the lack of adequate sanitation services (Which you can see from this photo of the children bathing in the rivers) in so many areas globally.


You can read more and sign up to do it in your area by clicking the above link.

Anyhow, I was thinking that it would be really good to do a walk for charity once a month. Which is really easy to do when you live nearby a big city. So I did a little search on google, just typing in "Charity Walks in ________" (Fill in the blank with your local 'big city'), any I was surprised to see all of the things that come up! There are definitely at least one per month in NYC! For New York City, you can find some good info for a varriety of walks at the Time Out New York Site.

I am feeling very inspired to go get out there, and walk for my fitness and the greater good of several less fortunate people... whatever the issue may be!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to do this and then make a quilt out of the t-shirts! Good for you for following through. g

~Tonia~ said...

What a great thing that you are doing. Pat yourself on the back for me. :)